Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dress Fitting & Deets

To all my brides out there:


Were the dress fittings ever stressful for you? 


Today I had dress fitting #2. There will be 2 or 3 more fittings until the schwedding (5 months away!) so there's certainly room to fix things up, but I wasn't majorly impressed by the way things went for fitting #2.


When I put on my dress, they couldn't zip it up past my waist (it got stuck at the chest area). Normally, I would taken this as the obvious sign that I've gained a little weight, but I know this is not the case. In fact, I know I've lost weight. I've kicked it into gear and am going to the gym 4 to 5 times a week now. As it turns out, they took in the chest area WAAAAY too much. We're talking 2 inches too much... seriously. They're going to add 2 inches back to my bust area. Thank goodness, because I was spilling over (in the front AND back) and the girls did NOT look good. They must have just forgotten that I was a busty girl, but seriously, I was kind of upset by it. 


Then, on to the bustle. Apparently I have very expensive bustle taste because I prefer the look of a French bustle on my dress (I'd done some research and saw pictures of brides who've worn and bustled my dress before). But this requires a lot of work on the seamstress's part. We're talking sewing 30+ ties into the dress. And to top it off, the train is LONGGGG and heavy, so the woman working on my dress was struggling to bustle it the way I wanted (even with a picture to reference). She ended up creating a reeeeeally ugly bustle (it just looked like a big POOF) that Veronica and I both agreed was no bueno. But, she just sort of looked at us and said she wasn't going to be able to do anything better (maybe she just lacked the skills to do a complicated bustle?). This saddened me because during fitting #1 I showed them pictures of the bustle I loved and they said it would definitely be possible. Well, I wasn't sad for long because another seamstress popped in and figured out a way to bustle it that was sort of a compromise of the ugly one and the one I loved, but with no ugliness to it. I was really happy with the new bustle so we shall see how it turns out.


I guess it was just a little stressful because you're paying a bunch of money to give someone your already pricey gown, just to have them play around with it a bunch of times until it hopefully looks and fits right just right. 


Here's to hoping it looks wonderful 5 months from now. I'm pretty sure it will because they listened really well to my input today after the bust issue and the ugly bustle. We shall see!


And then Veronica and I ventured out to High Fashion Fabrics to look for some beaded appliques for belts. Here's my favorite one:

Pretty :)

Aside from the dress fitting, all other wedding planning deets (details) are running smoothly. We're narrowing down the guest list so we can send the Save the Dates. They've been ordered and will hopefully be sent out in the next two weeks. They are PRECIOUS. My brother (Matt) did an amazing job designing them and we can't wait to share them with family and friends. I'll post a picture of them soon. 


Also, I've been working on creating a budget that lists all expenses and totals below the amount of money we have for the wedding. I'll be honest, guest lists and budgets are definitely a bit stressful (and go hand-in-hand, btw... the more you invite, the less moolah you have for other things), but we're getting through them just fine. You've got to keep your spending under close check in order to stick to your budget... but by doing this I have a feeling we're going to be just fine and under budget by July 16th. And married. That's the important part :) 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry your dress fittings are not going so well. I only had one... it was lucky everything came together so easily... They should not have messed up that bad! Shame on them

    ReplyDelete